Fruits are used for various purposes both for personal consumption, industrial uses, medical applications, and much more; as a result, driving up its global demand with every passing day.
Fruits account for a considerable fraction of the world’s agricultural output, especially Nigeria’s. In 2017, fruits food supply for Nigeria was 55.8 kg per capita per year. Though Nigeria fruits food supply fluctuated substantially in recent years, it tended to decrease through 1968 – 2017 period ending at 55.8 kilograms per capita per year in 2017.
In 2018, citrus fruit production for Nigeria, for instance, was 4.07 million tonnes. This production rate increased from 1 million tonnes in 1969 to 4.07 million tonnes in 2018; growing at an annual rate of 3.20%.
There is an abundant market for all types of edible fruits, both locally and internationally. Millions of Nigerians consume fruits on a daily basis, and its health benefits cannot be overemphasized.
If you’re looking for a food processing business to venture into, starting a fruit processing business in Nigeria, Africa, or anywhere else around the world is a great move to move.
What Is A Fruit?
A fruit is the sweet and fleshy product of a plant which contains seeds and can be eaten as food. Fruits are vital for the body as they supply fundamentally important vitamins and minerals to the body.
What Is Fruit Processing?
Fruit processing is the process of harvesting the already ripe matured fruits, cleaning them, storing them, then processing these fruits to other forms for final consumption.
Business Opportunities in Fruit Processing
1). Source of Food:
Fruits provide a good source of vitamins and minerals. The World Health Organisation, along with other health governing bodies, recommends seven daily servings of fruits & vegetables, which represent 30% of our balanced diet.
2). Fruit Drink Production:
Fruits are processed into healthy natural fruit juices for consumption.
3). Jam and Marmalade Production:
Fruits are processed in Jam and marmalade for preservation, which are in high demand for their sweet flavour.
Facts and Benefits of Fruits
- Fresh fruits are low in calories and fat
- Fruits are essential for the overall well-being of the human body.
- Fruits generally contain a high volume of water.
- Fruits provide the body with nutritional supplements which are required for effective body growth and development.
- As part of a well-balanced, regular diet and a healthy, active lifestyle, a high intake of fruits can help to reduce obesity and maintain a healthy weight, lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure
- Fruits contain phytochemicals or plant chemicals. These biologically active substances can aid in the protection from some diseases
- Fruits are healthy, but some are healthier than others.
- Consuming a variety of fruits can help boost the immune system
- Some fruits act as antioxidants
- Eating fruits help improve the skin and promote good hair
Types of Fruit Processing Activities
There are different types of forms fruits can be processed into. Some are:
1). Fruit Drink Production:
This type of fruit processing entails the fruits been crushed and then squizzed of their liquid contents in other to produce juice which is then packaged for consumption.
2). Jam and marmalade Production:
This type of fruit processing where the fruits are juiced and mixed with sugar to be made into a jelly-like substance packaged in jars and used as spreads for bread and other food items.
3). Can Fruits:
This type of fruit processing is mostly common with the pineapple fruit. Here, the fruits are cut into bits and put into tins with light preservatives added. This is most common when the fruit is being shipped aboard.
How To Start A Fruit Processing Business In Nigeria: Step By Step Guide
1). Sourcing Good Fruits:
Fruits have a high tendency to spoil quickly as they are raw and perishable, so they lose their freshness every passing day.
To get good fruits, you could either harvested them freshly from your fruit farm or they could be bought fresh from local framers or at fruit markets.
2). Fruit Selection And washing:
After getting the fruits, the next step is the selection of the best fruits as only healthy and well-ripened fruits are processed. Any other type of fruit could lead to a change in taste, quality, or value when the process is complete.
After selection, the fruits are usually then washed properly over running water to remove the dirt and mud.
3). Processing The Fruits:
After selecting the best fruits and proper washing, the fruits are then peeled and processed to whichever form it was originally intended to be processed to.
− Export Business −
Challenges Of Fruit Processing In Nigeria
Here are some challenges that can affect starting a fruit processing business in Nigeria, Africa, or many other places around the world:
- Lack of government support
- Lack of funding for large scale production
- Lack of a highly favourable market
- Lack of highly equipped storage facilities
- Perishable nature of fruits
- Seasonal nature of some fruits
- Health and safety-related risks associated with the processing
- Lack of efficient production mechanisms
- Poor funding of research activities
- Bush burning
- Lack of capital for large scale production
- Lack of easy access to the international market
- Instability of the international market price
- Lack of adequate widespread knowledge on how to produce high-quality products
- Lack of funds to import international standard processing machinery
- Thieves and criminals
To Sum It Up
The fruit processing business in Nigeria can be a lucrative and profitable venture to start-up, due to its vast market demand and on your own ability to build a wide supply chain network. If you’re looking for a processing business to venture into, the fruit processing business in Nigeria is a great option to explore.